This is a delicious vegetarian and vegan dish adapted from the Sparkpeople.com recipe by IMVEGAN. Completely meatless and completely flavorful, this version adds mushrooms, a thicker gravy, a couple seasoning alterations and is soy free. Give it a try soon…you don’t know what you are missing.
Almond Milk, 3/4 cup
Idaho or Yukon Gold Potatoes (about 6-7 large)
Garlic salt, 2 tsp
Carrots, 2 large chopped
Yellow Sweet Corn, 1/2 can drained
Spanish Onion, 1 medium diced
Peas, frozen, 1/2 can drained
White Mushrooms, 1 cup chopped
Pinto Beans, 1 can rinsed and drained
Green Beans, 1 can rinsed and drained
Garlic, 2 cloves diced
2 Vegetable Seasoning Packets
Sage, 3-4 leaves chopped or 2 tsp ground
Celery flakes, 1 tablespoon
Thyme, 2 tsp ground
Water, 2 cups
Whole Wheat Flour, 3 heaping tablespoons
Water, 6 fl oz
1. Wash and cube the potatoes. Boil them on the stove until they fall apart when poked with a fork, drain, and mash with the garlic salt and almond milk. Set mashed potatoes aside for later.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, dice the onion and saute it in a little bit of water for a couple of minutes. Add the diced garlic and saute a minute more. Add the spices and celery flakes, then saute for another 30 seconds.
3. Add the 2 cups of water and vegetable seasoning to the pot.
4. Add vegetables to the pot. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to medium.
5. Mix the flour and 6 oz of tap water together. Add this to the pot with the veggies and cook for about 5 minutes until the gravy thickens.
6. Spoon the vegetables and gravy into a large casserole dish. Put the mashed potatoes on top and spread them out. Store extra vegetables and potatoes in refrigerator if they don't all fit into your casserole dish.
7. Cook the pie at 350 in your oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
EFC staff. We want to share our fitness knowledge with you!